South Valley Sanctuary is hiring for victim advocates for the following shifts:
There will be more shifts available come May:
Salary: 10.25 hr bilingual/ 10.00 hr monolingual/ 11.00 for those who have completed a bachelor’s degree
Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
*Bilingual (English & Spanish) preferred but not required
Understanding of the definition, dynamics and cause of domestic violence.
Strong communication and problem‐solving skills.
Able to coordinate well with others, and work effectively with a variety of people.
Professional and reliable.
Experience working with people, preferably in a human service field.
Directly reports to the Shelter Director.
Shelter Advocates are responsible for assisting, advocating on behalf of and providing
for the needs of shelter residents. Implements strategies to ensure for the safety and
security of shelter residents. Provides a supportive and compassionate environment for
shelter residents. Provides a positive connection between the community and the
1. Assume responsibility for meeting the needs of shelter residents.
2. Provide information and answer questions for residents.
3. Provide needed items to residents when requested, and communicate unfulfilled
requests to management.
4. Become familiar with residents’ needs by reading files, logs and notes.
5. Respond to residents needs in a helpful and courteous manner.
6. Actively listen to residents, show empathy and provide encouragement and
7. Ensure sleeping rooms are clean, stocked, prepared and ready for new residents
8. Assume responsibility for the operation of the 24‐hour hotline.
9. Courteously answer all incoming phone calls.
10. Prepare, record, and file hotline information when received.
11. Approve new shelter residents per established guidelines.
12. Maintain ready supply of intake files for new residents.
13. Complete intake of new residents when they arrive per established guidelines.
14. Properly record, copy, file and distribute new residents information.
15. Assume responsibility for the upkeep and housekeeping of the shelter.
16. Assist, support and encourage resident’s support with housekeeping items.
17. Ensure safety, sanitation and health regulations are adhered to at all times.
18. Ensure completion of assigned tasks and duties.
19. Ensure walkways are clean and safe in inclement weather.
20. Ensure general use areas are stocked and supplies are readily available for
21. Ensure all areas of the shelter and business areas are clean and sanitary.
22. Record, mark and stock perishable food items as received.
23. Maintain organization and cleanliness of all storage areas, and rotates stock as
designated by procedures or as assigned.
24. Attending all monthly staff meetings, training and other mandatory meetings.
25. Assist with special projects and events.
26. Update room list and housekeeping list daily.
27. Keep current on shelter policies and procedures.
28. Model appropriate professional boundaries with residents, staff, vendors,
volunteers and donors.
29. All other duties as assigned by the Shelter Director.
Karla Arroyo, LCSW