||AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM YOUTH LEADER
Salt Lake County Youth Services is looking for a diverse group of enthusiastic individuals with a passion for working with teens in our Afterschool Programs in Kearns, West Valley City, and Magna for the 2013-2014 school year. The Afterschool Programs provide a safe, nurturing, and educational environment that encourages youth to become active and productive community members.
Hours: Monday-Thursday 2:00 pm – 5:30 pm and Fridays 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm, hours may vary
• Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with diverse populations (youth and adults) from different social and ethnic backgrounds.
• High school graduate or equivalent and at least 21 years of age.
• Experience in working with youth and/or other related experience.
• Ability to create and facilitate skill-based and project-based classes, such as art, dance, life skills and recreation.
• Ability to help create a safe and inclusive environment for youth and adults.
• Ability to demonstrate group management skills and techniques.
• Effective conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to interact with both youth and adults in a nonjudgmental atmosphere.
• Possession of a valid Utah Driver’s License and the possibility of completing a Defensive Driving Course after employment.
• Plan and implement daily activities according to program needs. Participate in all activities with youth and assist coordinator.
• Prepare quarterly curriculum. Facilitate skill-based and project-based group activities for youth.
• Communicate and enforce program rules and code of conduct. Advise youth and adults regarding rule infraction and consequences.
• Provide leadership to youth engaged in program activities.
• Follow program procedures to safeguard health, safety, and well-being of participants.
• Assist in providing daily snacks.
• Attend weekly staff meetings, training sessions and monthly all-staff meetings as scheduled.
• Develop and maintain cooperative relationship with students’ families and school personnel.
• Provide a safe and healthy environment for program participants.
• Maintain attendance records as required by program.
• Report daily to Program Coordinator.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THIS POSITION
Must pass a yearly criminal background screening by the Bureau of Criminal Investigations
Must have valid Utah driver’s license
- May work up to 1,400 hours per calendar year.
- Are not eligible for County benefits except as otherwise provided for by policy.
- Are not considered merit employees; they are “at will” employees who may be terminated for any reason, without notice, and without a pre-termination hearing.