Solidarity Immersion in Villa Altagracia, Dominican Republic!
Monday August 5th – Sunday August 18th
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Join student organizers from United Students Against Sweatshops and leaders in the movement for social justice across the Dominican Republic for an unforgettable close-up look at how our global economy and fight for change is woven together!
We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied into a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly …before you finish eating breakfast in the morning, you’ve depended on more than half the world. This is the way our universe is structured. This is its interrelated quality. We aren’t going to have peace on Earth until we recognize this basic fact of the interrelated structure of all reality.” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
What we do:
• Listen and learn directly from the personal stories of organizers at the forefront of the fight for social justice on the ground in the Dominican Republic and Haiti.
• Share skills with rad student organizers from around the country who have won campaigns – lots of hands-on workshops, role plays, games, discussions, and campaign planning that will jump-start your organizing into the new semester.
• Have a whole lot of pure, simple, fun, with an amazing community of organizers in one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Enjoy the fantastic music and dance scene, the natural beauty, hike, hang out with local families.
● Meet the inspiring leaders of Alta Gracia, the first ever living-wage union-made factory producing college logo apparel. This article in The Nation and this fun video made by United Students Against Sweatshops share the history, or check out this short documentary film. Come see for yourself how more than a decade of student worker solidarity continues to transform the Free Trade Zone and community of Villa Altagracia.
● Meet workers from Haiti and the Dominican Republic fighting back for their rights on the frontlines of the campaign to hold adidas accountable – more here.
● Gain a first-hand understanding of the bigger picture of human rights in the global economy through direct testimony from organizers in the factories and fields, from garment-industry to Call Centers to agriculture.
● Meet students from all over, feed your creativity, fine-tune your organizing skills and have time to develop your game plans in an inspiring new setting. Build alliances with a network of amazing students from campuses across the country who are fighting for change, just like you!
● Immerse yourself in the local culture with home-stays and hang-out time with families in Villa Altagracia.
● Beaches! Rainforest Rivers! Hikes in the hills of Villa Altagracia! Learn to appreciate Dominican music and dance – Bachata, Merengue, Dembow – with union leaders! Bilingual Karaoke! Cheesy games! Learn to cook delicious Dominican food! Art! Action!
● Stay connected! Plug in to networks that will drive this movement forward when you get home. Whether sharing ideas and advice to help each other out on calls post-trip or meeting up at regional USAS conferences, we stay involved in the labor justice movement post-trip!
COST: $875 for all in-country necessities. Includes food, housing, transport, interpretation, supplies. Does not include airfare, souvenirs, airport entry fee ($10), mandatory basic travel insurance through ISIC card ($22), vaccinations ($50 – $100) and personal entertainment.
NO MONEY? NO PROBLEM! FREE FUNDRAISING WORKSHOPS. We pre-game the trips with lots of skillshares via Google hangouts of how you can raise the money to get you there, even if this would normally be beyond your means. The vast majority of students who have attended Solidarity Immersions have raised their program fees without paying a dime of their personal-money, whether through academic department money (sometimes triple-whammying: funding, credit, and trip), donations from unions and local businesses, letter writing to family and friends, benefit parties, work-trades and other fundraising tactics that we’ll share with each other. We’ll help you get there!
NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE. Working class perspectives are a huge asset to our trip! We can work together to make this happen. If you’re committed to the cause, where there’s a will there’s a way. Just apply and we will work together from there.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST PAY A NON-REFUNDABLE $250 deposit by July 4th. If you’re a waffler or a flake, that’s a dealbreaker. But if you’re serious, just learned about this yesterday, and really want to go, talk to us. We’re in the business of movement building – not rule or money making. We know students get our best work done last minute – the deadline to join the trip is somewhat flexible if you mean business, so call us.
For more information email email@example.com