Utahns Against Hunger
Creating the Political and Public Will to End Hunger
Who We Are:
For 30 years Utahns Against Hunger (UAH) has worked to expand the reach of federal nutrition programs to the estimated 1 in 6 households in Utah that struggle to afford enough food. We are not an emergency food provider. We work to shape public policy and make federal nutrition programs accessible for the people who need them.
We work to build the public will to end hunger through policy advocacy, including working with program administrators, local elected officials, and Utah’s Congressional delegation. We strengthen child nutrition by promoting and expanding the Summer Food Service Program, the National School Breakfast Program, and by ensuring that safety net programs like WIC and Food Stamps remain accessible and take advantage of federal policy options that increase participation and access. We grow community networks by working with local direct service organizations to increase their ability to screen and enroll their clients in the Food Stamp Program. We raise the profile of hunger by educating the media, community groups, educators, students, and religious organizations about the issues of hunger and poverty in Utah and the impact that has on our community.
UAH’s Outreach Coordinator will coordinate UAH’s community outreach, which is primarily focused on federal nutrition programs. This will include working with partnering state and non-profit agencies to write and submit a state-wide food stamp outreach plan, as well as forging relationships with Salt Lake School District’s Community Learning Centers, working with emergency food pantries on mobile food stamp screening and enrollment; training community partner agencies and volunteers on food stamp eligibility, screening, and enrollment. The Outreach Coordinator will also share duties with the Executive Director and Associate Director for facilitating presentations in the community about poverty and federal nutrition programs. The Outreach Coordinator will oversee UAH’s work to get farmers’ markets to accept food stamps; this includes overseeing AmeriCorps VISTAs work on this project, staffing the Downtown Farmers Market food stamp booth in the summer and early fall on Saturdays, and coordinating volunteers to help with this project. The Outreach Coordinator will supervise at least one of our two VISTAs and will take on other projects as they come up.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, organized individual who can help strengthen and expand Utahns Against Hunger’s outreach work.
- Coordinate UAH’s food stamp outreach, which includes spearheading the statewide Food Stamp Outreach plan and managing the mobile food stamp enrollment project with AmeriCorps VISTAs and community volunteers
- Coordinate food stamp outreach and policy trainings with community partners statewide, including pantries and school partners
- Coordinate food stamp outreach activities with partner agencies, including reporting required for the food stamp outreach plan
- Lead presentations in the community and to partner agencies about poverty and federal nutrition programs
- Oversee and coordinate the Food Stamp at Farmers Market work we do at 2 markets, including staffing the food stamp booth at the Downtown Farmers Market
- Participate in coalitions integral to UAH’s work
- Supervise two AmeriCorps VISTA volunteers and their work on federal nutrition program outreach.
- Collection of data and analysis for grant reports and program improvement
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work with diverse group of people in the community
- Strong communication skills; written and verbal
- Responsible, independent, and open to learning and feedback
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule as dictated by the needs of the program
- Driver’s license and good driving record
- Basic knowledge of and experience computer programs including Microsoft office
- Team-oriented with a good sense of humor
- Experience with policy a plus
- Research experience a plus.
- Spanish language skills a plus
Position starts full-time in April 2012.
This is a full-time position. Salary depends on experience. Health and dental benefits available
We will review all submissions, identify viable candidates and contact everyone who applies. The application deadline is February 17, 2012.
Please send resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about Utahns Against Hunger, go to: www.uah.org
Utahns Against Hunger is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.